Spider Veins Treatment in Houston, TX
What Are Spider Veins?
Spider veins, or telangiectasias, are red, purple, or blue in color. They may appear as webs, branches, or thin lines under the skin. They do not make the skin bulge like varicose veins. Spider veins are most often visible on the legs and the face. They are often painless and do not impact health. Some people refer to them as thread veins and only remove them for cosmetic purposes.
Premier Vein & Vascular Center offers treatment to remove spider veins in Houston, TX.
What Causes Spider Veins?
Spider veins are caused by malfunctioning valves within feeder veins. The unhealthy valves force the blood to flow backward, instead of towards the heart. The backed-up blood ends up in the non-functional veins underneath the skin’s surface, causing spider veins.
The primary causes of spider veins include:
- Standing or sitting for long periods
- Sudden weight gain or obesity
- Use of birth control pills
- Sun exposure
- Heredity (a family history of spider veins)
- Hormones (especially those influenced by puberty, pregnancy, and menopause)
- History of blood clots
- Leg injuries
- Postmenopausal hormonal replacement
- Tumors, constipation, and other conditions that increase pressure on the abdomen
Spider veins can also be caused by a traumatic injury to the skin or previous vein surgery.
Can Spider Veins Be Prevented?
Some practices can help stop spider veins from worsening or developing. Many can be incorporated into your day-to-day life.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Excess body weight may increase pressure on your leg muscles and blood vessels, resulting in spider veins.
- Move more: Sitting for long periods of time may result in blood pooling in veins in the lower body, which encourages the development of spider veins.
- Wear sunscreen: Sunscreen protects you from skin cancer, skin aging, and dark spots, and prevents spider veins on your face.
- Wear low-heeled shoes: Low-heeled shoes are recommended for everyday activity and promote the flow of blood.
- Limit the use of hot tubs and saunas: Some people may experience blood vessel breakage due to exposure to high temperatures.
Spider Veins in Women vs. Men
Spider veins are more common in women, and the amount of spider veins often increases with age. In some cases, hormones contribute to the development of both spider veins and varicose veins, and symptoms may become more noticeable during certain stages of the menstrual cycle, as well as during pregnancy. However, spider veins can be caused by many factors, and both men and women can benefit from treatment.
Facial Spider Veins
The face is often exposed to the sun’s rays, which can cause prominent spider veins. Facial spider veins can be bothersome because of their visibility, but Premier Vein & Vascular Center offers treatment for facial spider veins.
In some cases, individuals with prominent spider veins on the face may have an underlying health problem. Our team can rule out other issues that may present with spider veins as a symptom.
Do Spider Vein Treatments Hurt?
Spider veins are easier to treat than varicose veins. There are several methods to get rid of spider veins, but the most common and effective method is sclerotherapy. It involves the injection of an irritant into the vein to make it close up and disappear.
Sclerotherapy is a quick, effective, and safe procedure for treating spider veins. You might feel a little pinch from the small needles, but it’s nearly painless. It works in minutes and relieves itching, pain, or discomfort associated with the damaged veins.
Get Rid of Spider Veins at Premier Vein & Vascular Center
Sclerotherapy is the preferred spider vein treatment at Premier Vein & Vascular Center. If you have spider veins and are looking for treatment in Houston, TX, or if you have any questions about our sclerotherapy treatment for spider veins, contact us today!